Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Hodies


I watched a lot of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood when I was a kid.  One of the puppet characters in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe was named to sound nearly identical to Don Quixote: Donkey Hodie, who was of course, a donkey.  One of the first Christmas ornaments I had as a kid was a blue and white rocking horse.  Being a big fan of the show, and knowing of Donkey Hodie, I apparently decided the ornament should be named Horsey Hodie since he was a horse, not a donkey.  I wasn't exactly aware of the literary context of the puppet's name, so it seemed to me like it was just a simple switch of animal types. 

Regardless, Horsey Hodie became an important ornament in our family growing up, as he was always the first one on the tree.  I don't know that we will necessarily always continue that with my new immediate family, but for this year anyway, Horsey Hodie was the first one on the tree.  Here Joshua helps me begin the process or decorating our tree for this year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment